[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » General Topics » General Discussion » Thoughts on Continuance
Thoughts on Continuance
RobDate: Tuesday, 17 Dec 2013, 12:47 PM | Message # 1
Baron / Baroness
Group: Past Members
Sad as it is to say, between unemployment and all the classes I'm taking this spring, not to mention other goings on, I don't think I'm going to be in the proper headspace to start my game back up after the break. If anyone else would like to run something, I'd be happy to play, mind you, and I have a few one-shots or scenarios I could run, if you guys like.

RussDate: Tuesday, 17 Dec 2013, 7:59 PM | Message # 2
Viceroy / Vicereine
Group: Group Members
sad

...but I know how you feel.

Bad-AshDate: Tuesday, 17 Dec 2013, 8:54 PM | Message # 3
Count / Countess
Well, it's a funny thing Rob, I had a feeling with the long break and all something might change. It's okay though, we may have a reserve plan. smile

Michelle and I have been talking a lot about 7th Sea in the last couple of weeks, and she's suggested I run an adventure or two (or more) of that game. It's fun, it's easy, it's swashbuckley, etc. etc.. If you like the idea of playing Zorro, or V, or one of the Three Musketeers, or one of the scheming, conniving Borgias, or Jonathan Strange, or a Viking berserker, or a German pirate, anything like that, then 7th Sea can be a lot of fun. It's literally dumping all the swashbuckling cliches into one crazy gaming world. tongue

Michelle suggested that as we're meeting on January 4th anyway, we use that day as the day to create characters. This is probably a good idea as we've all got a ton of news and would probably spend a good part of the first session, regardless of what we played, chatting. And if we have time left, there's always boardgames.

How's that sound? Everyone okay with me running another game? Everyone willing to give 7th Sea a try? If not, no worries, just be honest, it's all good. smile

MichelleDate: Tuesday, 17 Dec 2013, 9:04 PM | Message # 4
Viceroy / Vicereine
Group: Group Administrator
I always had a lot of fun playing 7th sea.  Nothing like some swashbuckling fun!  Have any of y'all ever played?  It would be the d10 original version.  I think it's pretty easy to pick up and is really more about having fun with the story. I've already got a character in mind.

RussDate: Tuesday, 17 Dec 2013, 9:31 PM | Message # 5
Viceroy / Vicereine
I'll be there...finally.  I'm still mulling over ideas for my D&D campaign so hopefully we can run something in the near future.

RobDate: Tuesday, 17 Dec 2013, 11:10 PM | Message # 6
Baron / Baroness
I've never played 7th Sea, though it sounds kind of fantastic to me. I'm all about buckling me some swash.

Bad-AshDate: Wednesday, 18 Dec 2013, 6:43 PM | Message # 7
Count / Countess
Quote Michelle ()
It would be the d10 original version. I think it's pretty easy to pick up and is really more about having fun with the story. I've already got a character in mind.

It is incredibly easy. Basically, it's all d10s, you roll some and keep less. Which is usually written as 5k3, or in other words roll five d10 and keep the three best. You total the result and try to beat a target number. Any dice that you roll a 10 on and keep, you get to roll again and keeping adding to the total.

And it's simpler to remember. It's basically nearly always Trait + Knack and keep the Trait. Traits are the stats and range from 1 to 5, or 6 in rare cases, or 7 in even rarer cases. Knacks are skills. So if you have a Brawn trait of 3 and a Punch knack of 2, that's 5k3 or roll five dice and keep three.

Quote Russ ()
I'm still mulling over ideas for my D&D campaign so hopefully we can run something in the near future.

Absolutely, I'm up for that. Maybe we can plan on you running a game after 7th Sea? That will give you time to get things together, and give Rob some more time as a player too. Let's talk more about it on the 4th,

Quote Rob ()
I've never played 7th Sea, though it sounds kind of fantastic to me. I'm all about buckling me some swash.

Well, the game definitely encourages the outrageous swashing of buckles. Or buckling of swashes. Or whatever. smile

Anyway, looking forward to January 4th then, for character creation. Should be fun.

JessiDate: Wednesday, 18 Dec 2013, 9:21 PM | Message # 8
Marquess / Marchioness
Hey guys,

Question... will Seven Seas be amenable to web cam gaming?    I'm not sure I can be there on the 4th...  I'm giving up my apartment in NC on the 10th so it's going to be web cam gaming for me until the end of next october.  I've been told that if they are going to let you go during probation then they do it the last week (end of october)... so I am either moving back to NC then, or I am staying here and buying a place in NC.
I will be down on the weekend of the 10th though, so I can get the Kindle Fire to Michelle for the web stuff.

RobDate: Thursday, 19 Dec 2013, 12:44 PM | Message # 9
Baron / Baroness
Damnit, now my mind is making character concepts. Is a young sorcerer-prince from an exotic faraway land, on the run from his older brother's assassins, the sort of thing that gets played?

Bad-AshDate: Thursday, 19 Dec 2013, 8:15 PM | Message # 10
Count / Countess
Quote Jessi ()
Hey guys,

Question... will Seven Seas be amenable to web cam gaming? I'm not sure I can be there on the 4th... I'm giving up my apartment in NC on the 10th so it's going to be web cam gaming for me until the end of next october. I've been told that if they are going to let you go during probation then they do it the last week (end of october)... so I am either moving back to NC then, or I am staying here and buying a place in NC.
I will be down on the weekend of the 10th though, so I can get the Kindle Fire to Michelle for the web stuff.

I'm okay with webcam gaming, Jessi. I can't speak for anyone else of course but I'm sure no one will mind. We don't want to lose you, after all. smile

As for character creation, I can work with you Jessi to create a character between now and then, either posting on the forum or by e-mail or whatever. How does that sound?

Quote Rob ()
Damnit, now my mind is making character concepts. Is a young sorcerer-prince from an exotic faraway land, on the run from his older brother's assassins, the sort of thing that gets played?

Yes, yes, yes, no-ish, yes. tongue

Okay, proper answer. To break this character down into manageable chunks, there are four elements: sorcerer; prince; exotic faraway land; on the run from his older brother's assassins.

Sorcerer
There are seven (and a bit... one is kind of split in two...) nationalities in Theah, the gameworld. Two of those nationalities don't have magical blood at all, so we can ignore those, and another nationality has a magic that can only be wielded by women. The remaining four nationalities each have their own unique type of magic. You can even mix-and-match to get more options, but like multi-classing in Pathfinder/D&D, it means you'll never be as powerful as you could be if you focused on one.

Basically then Rob, you can start two ways. Choose the nationality that appeals and take the magic that comes with it, or I can tell you about the different types of magic, you can choose the one that appeals and take the nationality that comes with it.

Prince
This is a little tricky. It restricts your choices of nationality somewhat, but not too badly. Basically this is the kind of thing that would be a background. Each player can spend up to 4 points on backgrounds and backgrounds range in value from 1 to 3. A 1 will crop up less often than a 3 and will have less of an impact on the game.

So the background that suits your idea best is True Identity. The more points you put into this, the more powerful your former life was. So a 3 would suggest that you were a really high up noble, possibly a prince or a bastard of the king or something like that.

However, the problem is the 4 point limit for backgrounds. You'll want to take another background (see below). I'll get to that.

Exotic Faraway Land
Unfortunately there simply aren't any exotic faraway lands. Well, there are. Two, actually - the Crescent Empire, which is basically magical Araby/Persia, and Cathay, which is a mix of China/Japan. But the former is forbidden by the Pope, the latter blocked by a sea of fire. So yeah, faraway and exotic, not so much. There are still tons of possibilities though - the son of one of the feuding Vodacce families perhaps, or the renegade son of a Viking chieftain, or the wayward son of a powerful Scottish Highland clan. All these would be a little exotic when traveling in the cultured cities of the rest of the world.

On the run from his older brother's assassins
This is easy enough, it's just another background. This time Hunted is probably best, which is exactly what it says - someone is hunting for you. Again, the more points you spend, the more hunters there are and the more often they'll come looking for you.

The trouble is, as another background combined with the True Identity background, you either have to go 3 and 1, or 2 and 2 (or spend less than the maximum four points, of course).

I've probably rambled here, but ask any questions you might have. Maybe I'll start another thread.

Message edited by Ash - Thursday, 19 Dec 2013, 8:16 PM

JessiDate: Thursday, 19 Dec 2013, 10:54 PM | Message # 11
Marquess / Marchioness
I'm going to have to get an eye patch and wear it during the games.  I think this is a moral imperative!

RussDate: Friday, 20 Dec 2013, 0:43 AM | Message # 12
Viceroy / Vicereine
AAARRRggghh!

Bad-AshDate: Friday, 20 Dec 2013, 8:45 PM | Message # 13
Count / Countess
Pirate speak. if your character happens to be a pirate, would be actively encouraged. smile

But the same is true for all characters. I expect to hear outrageous French accents for those from the nation of Montaigne, for example.

Added (20 Dec 13, 7:45 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Just FYI, I've added the wonderfully painted nations of Theah pics to the front homepage, and started adding details of each nation to the 7th Sea forum, which hopefully will make it easier for you all to pick your characters' nationality.

Message edited by Ash - Friday, 20 Dec 2013, 5:59 PM

RussDate: Friday, 03 Jan 2014, 11:34 AM | Message # 14
Viceroy / Vicereine
Are we still on for tomorrow, guys?  If we are, I will have my son with me but he will be fine playing Magic, WoW TCG, etc. or just watching us play.  I don't think it will be a problem but I will understand if you all prefer him not be there.  Otherwise I will be sans child for the following two weekends.  The weekend of the 25th I will be unavailable because it is my daughter's first birthday party.

Bad-AshDate: Friday, 03 Jan 2014, 5:51 PM | Message # 15
Count / Countess
Yep, we're still meeting tomorrow as far as I know, Russ, at 10AM. But we're only going to be creating characters and chat, not playing, that will be the 18th. If I'm right in my calendar/math, we shouldn't have a game on the 25th.

Forum » General Topics » General Discussion » Thoughts on Continuance
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright dragone69 © 2024   Make a free website with uCoz