Monday, 29 Apr 2024, 1:52 AM

Welcome Commoner | RSS

Main | Nobilis - Forum | Sign Up | Login

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Role Playing Games » Nobilis » Nobilis (A game of being what you are as hard as you can.)
Nobilis
RobDate: Monday, 10 Jun 2013, 5:18 PM | Message # 1
Baron / Baroness
Group: Past Members
Nobilis is an strange game. In it, you play a mortal (normally a mortal human) who has been noticed by the inherent forces of the universe, and have, for whatever reason, been found worthy of being forced into godhood.

You see, the Imperators, who are all mighty Angels, Demons, and True Gods that form the basis for all of reality, are really, really busy with something. So they grant their world-shaking power to mortals (who become known as Powers, or more formally, Nobles), allowing them to nap in relative safety. They do try to chose appropriate mortals to serve as their powers on earth. A Cat might be elected as the Power of Curiosity. A con man could become the Power of Lies. A roman gladiator the Power of Swords or a computer program the Power of Math (the Imperators are sometimes a little fuzzy on what constitutes a "mortal"). Unfortunately, as often as not, a random schmuck gets picked out as the Power of Earthquakes, Rainbows, Butterflies, Murder, Automobiles, or Circles or something, because the Imperators have a hard time telling mortals apart.

As a Noble, your job is threefold. Don't let anyone murder your Imperator. Don't let anyone murder You. Don't let anyone murder the other powers your Imperator made. All three of these are occasionally a lot harder than they sound...

...fortunately, you have the power of a deity at your fingertips! Given examples of reasonable character goals range from conquest of the entire world, discovering a new and unknown emotion, writing a truly, LITERALLY unforgettable song, eradicating entirely from the world the very concept of "pop music",or storming the gates of heaven. Few are the things that can directly challenge the might of a well and truly pissed off Noble. Other than possibly other Nobles. Of which there are, at any time, roughly two thousand of, scattered hither and yon throughout all of creation.

CHARACTER CREATION
I had considered just making a bunch of pregen characters, but in retrospect, that did not seem like a ton of fun. Instead, I'll be using an altered version of the Lifepath system. Anyone who's interested in trying out the character creation, let me know, either by PM or by responding here, and we'll make you a character. If you're not interested in making a character, I will have some pregens for you to select from if/when this gets run.

MichelleDate: Monday, 10 Jun 2013, 6:29 PM | Message # 2
Viceroy / Vicereine
Group: Group Administrator
I defiantly want to do the character creation.  With some help of course.

RobDate: Monday, 10 Jun 2013, 8:57 PM | Message # 3
Baron / Baroness
Excellent! I will send you a private message and start Step One of making a Nobilis Character!

Added (10 Jun 13, 7:57 PM)
---------------------------------------------
oke doke! Looks like the steps would take too long to do by private message. So I'll post them here!

Ok, Step One is finding out what kind of Deity you are.  To do this, you must select two things. One is the key thing that defines your mortal
existence. The other is the key thing that defines your miraculous
existence.

For instance, if you chose Rage as the key thing that defines your mortal existence, you might be a person with a foul temper,
who can't keep a steady relationship, or perhaps even a job. If it's
the key facet of your miraculous existence, perhaps you are furious at
your Imperator for screwing up your previously acceptable life.

Your list of "keys" to choose from are as follows (pick two of these that
interest you, and I'll tell you more about them. Once you have 2 that
you like, we'll move on):
"Of the Descending Angel" (your power defines you)
"Of Something Powerful" (Your Identity as a person in charge defines you)
"Something that Must Be Hidden" (a dangerous secret defines you)
"Of Something, Given Gifts" (A thing you have witnessed defines you)
"Of Rage" (Your fury at a thing defines you)
"Of Destiny Denied" (your appetites define you)
"Of Something, Changed Forever" (a mystery that changed you defines you)
"Of Something in Thrall" (a bond that imprisons you defines you)
"Of Something, Finally, at Rest" (A torment you have escaped defines you)
"Of Something Romantic" (a theoretical ideal defines you)
"Of Something Different" (your abnormal nature defines you)
"Of Destiny in the Balance" (your ultimate prize defines you)
"Of something Restless" (the path your wander defines you)
"Of Something Spiritual" (your solitude defines you)
"Of Something That Hasn't Changed" (your unflagging sense of self defines you)

Bad-AshDate: Monday, 10 Jun 2013, 9:15 PM | Message # 4
Count / Countess
Do we all pick from the same list, Rob, or is that list just for Michelle's character?

RobDate: Monday, 10 Jun 2013, 9:17 PM | Message # 5
Baron / Baroness
That's for everybody.

Bad-AshDate: Monday, 10 Jun 2013, 9:48 PM | Message # 6
Count / Countess
Okay, let's give this a whirl. Let's try for the Kurgan route again.

The thing that defines my mortal existence is rage.
The thing that defines my miraculous existence is destiny in the balance.

How does that work, Rob?

JessiDate: Monday, 10 Jun 2013, 9:55 PM | Message # 7
Marquess / Marchioness
Group: Group Members
My miraculous existence is defined by "Of Something Romantic" (a theoretical ideal defines you) 

My mortal existence is defined by "Of something Restless" (the path your wander defines you)

RobDate: Monday, 10 Jun 2013, 11:34 PM | Message # 8
Baron / Baroness
Quote (Ash)
Okay, let's give this a whirl. Let's try for the Kurgan route again.The thing that defines my mortal existence is rage.
The thing that defines my miraculous existence is destiny in the balance.

How does that work, Rob?
That works just fine!

If the Key of your mortal existence is Rage, than the shadow which goes with that rage is What Opposes The Rage, or whatever lets you resist the fury within.
If the Key of your Miraculous existence is Destiny in the Balance, the shadow to that is the Struggle, or whatever you must fight to fulfill that destiny.

for your next step, do the following:
1. Determine what the source of your rage is. With all of these, try to keep it to a single word or phrase, like "Injustice" or "Boy Bands" or "Diseases" or "Cancer" or "The pity of those weaker than myself"
2. Determine what you are changing into. Remember that this is a Miraculous change. Mortals change into alcoholics and born-again Christians. A GOD changes into an Angel, or the King of the World, or Literally Perfect, or a Tree or something.

Added (10 Jun 13, 10:34 PM)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Jessi)
My miraculous existence is defined by "Of Something Romantic" (a theoretical ideal defines you)

My mortal existence is defined by "Of something Restless" (the path your wander defines you)

If the key to your mortal existence is Of Something Restless, the shadow of your mortal existence is Why it Feels Empty, as the farther you travel on your path, the harder you cling to the few permanent attachments you DO have.

If the key to your Miraculous existence is Of Something Romantic, the shadow of your miraculous existence is The Cost, the price you pay to maintain your idealized self.

1. Determine what kind of person wandering has made you. Samples are Vagabond, Loner, Wandering Hero, "I Walk The Earth", and "Out of Town by Sundown"

2. Determine what Miraculous Ideal you fulfill. A Mortal of these things might strive to become them. A God often EMBODIES these ideals. You could be the Dashing Pirate, or The Perfect Spy, or a Mad Scientist, or the Cool Rogue Hacker. When a person thinks of this archetype, they think of you. Probably literally.

Message edited by Rob - Monday, 10 Jun 2013, 11:23 PM

MichelleDate: Tuesday, 11 Jun 2013, 5:35 PM | Message # 9
Viceroy / Vicereine
Group: Group Administrator
Mortal: "Of Something, Changed Forever" (a mystery that changed you defines you) 
Miraculous: "Of Something in Thrall" (a bond that imprisons you defines you)

RobDate: Tuesday, 11 Jun 2013, 8:51 PM | Message # 10
Baron / Baroness
Quote (Michelle)
Mortal: "Of Something, Changed Forever" (a mystery that changed you defines you)

Miraculous: "Of Something in Thrall" (a bond that imprisons you defines you)

If the Key to your mortal existance is Of Something, Changed Forever, the shadow of your mortal existence is How It Changed The World, or how the thing that changed you also changed the world.

If the Key to your miraculous existence is Of Something in Thrall, the shadow of your miraculous existence is Entangled with My Enemy, or how intertwined you are with that which imprisons you.

1. Determine what kind of person you are when you consider your change. Are you heartbroken by it? Inspired? Perfected? Corrupted?

2. Determine how you are bound, and by what. Bound by devils, chained by souls? A Pawn of a Horrid Imperator?

JessiDate: Tuesday, 11 Jun 2013, 11:58 PM | Message # 11
Marquess / Marchioness
1. Determine what kind of person wandering has made you. Samples are Vagabond, Loner, Wandering Hero, "I Walk The Earth", and "Out of Town by Sundown" 

2. Determine what Miraculous Ideal you fulfill. A Mortal of these things might strive to become them. A God often EMBODIES these ideals. You could be the Dashing Pirate, or The Perfect Spy, or a Mad Scientist, or the Cool Rogue Hacker. When a person thinks of this archetype, they think of you. Probably literally.

RobDate: Wednesday, 12 Jun 2013, 0:14 AM | Message # 12
Baron / Baroness
Hey Jessi, are you picking those examples (which is fine, if you like them)? Because I think you'd make a fantastic Dread Pirate Roberts.

EDIT: It is important for everyone to know that you were in no way required to select any of the given examples.

Message edited by Rob - Wednesday, 12 Jun 2013, 1:24 AM

JessiDate: Wednesday, 12 Jun 2013, 2:24 PM | Message # 13
Marquess / Marchioness
Oh... I thought we had to pick from those.  Let me go back and thinks some more.

RobDate: Wednesday, 12 Jun 2013, 2:45 PM | Message # 14
Baron / Baroness
No problem. Even if you were to pick Dashing Pirate, you'd still want to have an idea in your head of what that means. You could be a charming Somali Pirate warlord, or a Dashing Pirate from the old days on the spanish main, or you could be a sexy software pirate, cruising the internets. Or you could actually be the dread pirate roberts, dragged straight out of the princess bride and given life.

Bad-AshDate: Thursday, 13 Jun 2013, 4:16 PM | Message # 15
Count / Countess
I like the sound of this, Rob, but I'm not sure I'm wrapping my head around it. Maybe we can all talk about it at the next game and it will sink in a little easier.

Forum » Role Playing Games » Nobilis » Nobilis (A game of being what you are as hard as you can.)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright dragone69 © 2024   Make a free website with uCoz